Saturday, July 5, 2008

Festival for the Eno

I attended the Festival for the Eno today, an annual crafts and music fair (country, gospel, bluegrass, folk for the most part) held in Durham to raise funds for the preservation of the Eno River watershed. While some acts return, there is enormous turnover and it is a three day concert where most performers are only there for one day. This means that every time I've gone I see plenty of new acts and groups, usually varying sharply in quality.

This year I was lucky to see several acts for the first time that were very good. Peter Siegel, Jamie Anderson and the Broad Street Band, and Girlyman were among the standouts.

The one that rose to the top for me this year was Ellis. Lyrics that would have seemed incredibly cloying coming from a cynic like me fit perfectly with her high spirited performance. She really connected with her audience, letting her natural enthusiasm for music and world shine through, and that in turn excited all of us. It was a standout performance, easily the best I've seen over the few years that I've attended the Festival.

No comments: