Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Nothing like ionized air

It's summer in North Carolina, which means that the thunderstorms are blowing through daily.

Tonight I found myself outside the Southpoint Cinemas as a few light sprinkles were coming down. Little did I know that it would move from "sprinkles" to "solid sheets of rain" in about thirty seconds. I've never been down there while it was storming this badly before. The wind was more than strong enough to bend the jets of the fountain about fifteen feet, adding that extra bit of splash to what was already a downpour. Between that and the lightening that could be seen to the south, it was quite a show.

It only lasted about half an hour. Later on the radio said that the storm was blowing through at about 45 miles per hour, so no surprise that it was over so fast. Hurricane winds start at 75 mph and go up to over 150 mph. I think I could live a full life without ever going through that.

No comments: