Saturday, August 16, 2008

To Sydney!

Today I flew down to Sydney to connect with my Mom coming in from Seattle via San Francisco. Meeting at the airport went fine-but then the first problem arose.

Every vacation must have its little hiccups, and mine came when I first opened my suitcase to find that the four pairs of long pants so carefully selected for the trip where nowhere to be found. Fortunately we were in Sydney, one of the world's greatest cities, right?



They do indeed have some fabulous shopping (the above picture of the Queen Victoria Arcade is but one of the many fantastic locations.) However, I was a bit stymied in my search. The problem is my body shape. My height is 5' 11", but most of that is in my upper body. While I have a waist of 38", my inseam is a mere 29", very short for my height. In the US, men's pants are sold by waist and inseam, but as I discovered, the same is not true in Australia. They sell by waist, followed by three choices of long, regular, or short for inseam. And even the short pants were about two or three inches too long to be wearable for me.

This is when it helps to be traveling with one's Mom. She had brought along her little emergency travel sewing kit, and was able to turn up a pair of pants for me that lasted beautifully through all the climbs and hikes yet to come. Thanks Mom!



After having toured the downtown, the next stop was Darling Harbour. This is waterfront Nirvana for tourists, boasting museums and restaurants in profusion. Our main stop was the Sydney Aquarium, where we were introduced to several of the fish and reptiles that we'd be seeing in the weeks to come.

No comments: