Saturday, January 31, 2009

Farewell, Weekend America!

The last show of Weekend America aired today on the radio. Now, I have to admit, that I never much cared for the show--I thought it veered wildly from deep interviews to bubbly fluff that undermined any credibility the more serious reporting might have built up.

Still, I was somewhat sad to see it go. For one, as someone in the middle of a job search, I can empathize with the process that everyone who works on the show must be going through. Will I find a new job? Will I have to move somewhere I won't fit in? Why now, as the economy is going through such troubles?

On the other hand, all things have to end. Otherwise, the world wouldn't be life, just some Garden of Eden lite. Of course, everyone who's played video games understands this. Games that are too easy where there are no setbacks, no challenges, are boring as all get out. As we get closer to creating virtual worlds, the same rules apply, and act as tests that can be applied to reality. What is typically regarded as a frivolous activity--video games--may provide a new form of scientific philosophy where experiments can be directly used to test the big questions.

In any event, I'll miss Weekend America--mindless fluff included.

No comments: