Sunday, August 30, 2009

Orientation

It's always darkest before the dawn, and its always quietest on a campus before the students arrive. Convocation and the start of the new semester is Sept. 1st, which means this week was the last where quiet reigned supreme.

I always feel some nervousness before starting a new job or position, and this time is no exception. No matter how prepared, how experienced I become, each new entering class of students is different, with unique needs and presenting unique challenges. Of course, that's one of the reasons I love the job--diversity keeps all the neurons firing full speed ahead.

At least now I know quite a bit more about CMC. Monday and Tuesday morning of this week I went to orientation, where everyone from the Registrar to the Library to Campus Services had their hour to fill the new faculty full of information. It was very different from my last orientation, though. This time around, with eight years experience as a faculty member under my belt, I knew exactly what I needed to know, and that confers a huge advantage. Braced with that knowledge, I knew what questions to ask and so I think that I have all the answers I need.

At least until the students arrive.

2 comments:

B said...

Keeping tradition, I missed all my orientation sessions, and I am as lost as usual...

Are you enjoying your new people? Have you made new friends (envious look :0 )

Mark Huber said...

Yep, I'd say I'm friends with several people in the department at this point. We tend to go over to the Dining Hall (which is good--better than most of the Duke food but worse than the faculty commons) for lunch most days so I get to find out what people are up to.