Sunday, February 7, 2010

Super Bowl XLIV!

Once again, the game has upended my expectations and proved more exciting than the commercials!

Still there were a few winners. The baby Etrader commercials continue to impress while GoDaddy continues to underwhelm. But for me the winner was Google's ad.

The best ads are short films, entire stories mapped into 52 seconds. And in that respect, Google has created a new art form: the short story told entirely through Google searches. The epistolary novel form tells a story entirely through letters, but that's the closest I've seen to this form.

Like many people, Google searches have become an indispensable part of my life, pointing the way to resources for work and play, telling me where to go and surprising me with the amount of information that is out in the world. Since they rule the search market, they rarely advertise, and so it was nice to see them land such a nice ad on their first shot at the biggest show in town.

No comments: